A shove leads to pupil’s broken arm

As seen on IOL.

Crime & Courts | 31 January 2017
Saarah Survé

Cape Town – A teacher at St Ida’s Primary School in Stellenbosch allegedly pushed a pupil on Monday last week. As a result of the push, the pupil, Azakhe Gxuluwe, 12, broke her arm which is now in a cast.

The teacher said Azakhe and a classmate had been making a noise. “I had to look after two classes. They were loud and it was annoying. I told them to go to class and I pushed her to start moving.”

Azakhe’s mom, Lorretta Gxuluwe, said she had received a message from the principal saying that her daughter was in hospital. “The principal told me that she fell when she was playing.”

Later, Azakhe told her mother that the principal was lying and the teacher had pushed her.

According to Gxuluwe, earlier that day the teacher had allegedly hit her daughter’s face while they were in a classroom.

“I don’t know how to feel,” said Gxuluwe when asked about the incident involving her daughter.

The principal, Glynis Rippenaar, said she had no comment and referred the Cape Argus to the Western Cape Education Department. She said the incident was being investigated.

Department spokesperson Paddy Attwell confirmed that the principal had reported an alleged incident to their Labour Relations directorate.

“According to the principal, the teacher allegedly pushed a learner who had challenged him and answered back. The learner allegedly fell on to her hands and hurt a finger.”

“The department is investigating,” said Atwell.

Police spokesperson Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana said a common assault case had been opened for investigation. No one had been arrested at this stage.

Azakhe has been at the school since Grade R.

See the article here. 

Carl Wastie reminds celebs: Sun Met’s about the horses

As seen on IOL.

Life | 25 January 2017
Saarah Survé

Cape Town – With a hairstyle reminiscent of a horse’s mane, who better than Carl Wastie to remind us who the real stars of Saturday’s Sun Met celebrated with GH Mumm are:

“It’s not celebrities, people, dresses or suits. It’s horses.

“We tend to forget while we chill in the VIP areas. We don’t realise that we’re actually there for the horses.”

While mounted on a horse called Bosman at the Oude Molen Stables, the KFM jock said, “Something so natural and beautiful has created an event with such glamour and glitz. I wanted to go back to basics.

“Sometimes we lack empathy with the jockeys who have great relationships with these amazing animals.”

He recalled his family’s history with horses. His grandfather and father were jockeys.

Despite fitting the height requirement at 1.53m, Wastie said his skeletal structure would not suit a career as a jockey.

Wastie joked if he was a jockey, however, his name would be Horsetin Powers because he feels like it would be “groovy, baby, to ride a horse”.

“To any jockeys taking on the Sun Met, I’d say: remain calm and ensure that your pants are extra tight because that’s the only way you become faster. If you have a problem getting on the horse, go eat at Saddles.”

Wastie will be dressed by C Squared on Saturday.

“My favourite decade is the era of the Great Gatsby, but I might surprise everyone and go complete ’90s and wear an Adidas tracksuit, so that I’m comfy for the after party.”

See the article here. 

Rat runs out of Woolies packet at Canal Walk

As seen on IOL.

Western Cape | 25 January 2017
Saarah Survé

Cape Town – Canal Walk is investigating whether or not there is a rodent infestation in a section of the mall after a rat scurried out of a loaf of bread on the counter at the shopping centre’s Woolworths store.

Woolworths claims the centre itself is infested and that its pest control company Ecolab was already “trying to contain the situation”, but the centre’s marketing manager Vanessa Herbst said this was the first they had heard of it.

“We have no knowledge of the situation. All procedures are in place. We do regular checks. Woolworths has notified us and we will investigate.”

She also told the Cape Argus that the incident took place in the store and thus she had no reason to suspect the problem affected any other tenants.

However, Woolworths further said Ecolab had confirmed other tenants had also reported rats.

A woman who did not want to be named posted about the incident, which took place on Saturday, January 7, on Facebook.

“I was unpacking the groceries and put the bread on the counter. The packet started to move. A rat ran out of the packet, across the counter, past the cashier and through the crowd,” she said.

She said she asked the teller where the manager was. The manager was unavailable, and the teller went on to explain that there was a “rodent epidemic”. “That was not the type of apology I expected. It’s not the standard I was expecting from Woolworths.

“No one on the floor came to check if we were okay. Nobody came to see if the cashier was okay, who had to pick up the loaf of bread to remove it from the customers’ sights,” she said.

“When I got home I phoned the store to speak to the store manager, but they put me in touch with the second in charge. They said that they would contact me on Monday.”

Woolworths later responded to her Facebook post.

The branch food department manager, Natalie van Rooyen, wrote: “As per the incident that occurred while you were shopping at our store on Saturday evening. Sorry for only getting back to you now. We do apologise and we ensure that we are seeing to the problem.”

See the article here.

Bet on a day of glam and thrills at Sun Met

As seen on IOL.

Life | 24 January 2017
Saarah Survé

Cape Town – Get ready for a day of opulence and glamour at this year’s The Sun Met celebrated with Mumm.

The prestigious equestrian event takes place on January 28 at Kenilworth Racecourse.

Sun International, which has taken over the sponsorship reins of the event, promises to add thrill with an extra dose of elegance, sophistication, glamour and world-class entertainment.

Etienne Cassuto, brand manager of Mumm Champagne, said this year will be different because of new partners, new experiences and a new level of racing and glam.

With an honorary guest list of influential celebrities and designers, and the iconic international champagne Maison Mumm, a memorable experience can be anticipated.

The official theme of The Sun Met celebrated with Mumm is Decades of Glamour. So, get inspired by the last eight decades and dazzle in disco, go all-out in retro or put the glam into grunge.

Fashion label KLUK CGDT advised attendees to use the decade that inspires them as an influence, not a bible. Hats both useful for the sun and for making a statement and block heels and flatforms are a fashionable trend.

Exciting collaborations to expect will be KLUK CGDT and Minnie Dlamini; Warrick Gautier and Cape Town’s Jeannie D; and SA hip hop star Da Les and House of Ole.

KLUK CGDT said the theme is as much about the “now” as it is the past. “It is about making a statement, about a sense of occasion and about appropriate dress.”

Sipping from endless fountains of Mumm’s legendary champagne and mingling with SA’s finest is just a taste of what’s to come. It’s an experience not to be missed.

See the article here.

 

Rival minstrel groups proud of their success

As seen on IOL.

Western Cape | 4 January 2017
Saarah Survé

Cape Town – Despite the bickering between the Klaapse Klopse Karnival Association (KKKA) and the Cape Town Minstrel Carnival Association (CTMCA) in the lead-up to the Tweede Nuwe Jaar minstrel march, both organisations declared their events a success.

KKKA director Muneeb Gambeno said the traditional parade through the city centre was a big success.

“We started within a 40-minute period, which is a success compared to other years, and we officially finished in front of City Hall at 7.30pm. The last troupe was there at 11.30pm.

“We worked well with law enforcement and service providers. There has only been positive feedback.”

Gambeno said the KKKA will try to be bigger and better next year.

“We will apply for the tender for next year. It’s an arms-length process, but everyone has to.”

The process is easier if you are compliant, said Gambeno.

Kevin Momberg, CTMCA chief executive, said their competition held at the Athlone Stadium went off smoothly.

Last week, Momberg withdrew his troupes (totalling about 5 0000 members) from the march over the awarding of the hosting rights to the KKKA.

“All the teams were there, only three or four joined the parade in Cape Town.

“We are satisfied, but we are taking the city to court.”

Despite Momberg also levelling allegations against the city council over security certificates, mayoral committee member for tourism, events and economic development Eddie Andrews said he was not aware of any legal action that had been taken against the city.

Andrews said he was only aware of a delay and a security issue with the police, saying there were not enough marshals at the stadium.

Andrews said some of Momberg’s troupes from the CTMCA were welcomed at the traditional street parade in the CBD.

Momberg said he would like to see next year’s event become more inclusive, for the different minstrel associations to work more closely together and for the city to act as an “enabler”.

See the article here. 

Minstrels do Cape Town proud

As seen on IOL.

Western Cape | 3 January 2017
Saarah Survé

Cape Town – Thousands of people made the annual trek to Cape Town’s CBD on Monday to experience the Tweede Nuwe Jaar minstrel march.

Some families camped overnight, others since last week to catch the minstrels in action.

Fatima Jordan and her family from Kensington, including a two-month-old baby, had been camping at the Grand Parade since Thursday.

Nahira Sonday, from Atlantis, paid street people R100 a day to save a spot at the Grand Parade for herself and her family of 14.

The yearly parade dates back to the mid-19th century when the slaves in Cape Town were granted one day off in the year by their colonial masters. To celebrate, groups would dress up as minstrels, waving parasols, strumming banjos, making music, dancing and parading from District Six through to the city centre. Many of the songs still sung today date back to the 1800s.

Muneeb Gambeno, director of the Kaapse Klopse Karnavaal Association (KKKA), said he was looking forward to a successful, peaceful event.

“People are out in their thousands, they’re smiling and happy. Their smiles are indicative of a people who are saying ‘today we are bigger than our problems; today we celebrate community, kinsmanship, communal living and family’.

“People of Cape Town must come out and celebrate with us. We expect people to be joyous and to celebrate together. The city has gone to great lengths to facilitate this.”

Gambeno said they expected between 45 and 60 troupes from various organisations, including the KKKA, Cape District Minstrel Board Association and the Cape Town Minstrel Carnival Association. Troupes range in size from 350 to 1 500 members. The Original District 6 Hanover Minstrels started the march at 2pm. They have been the champions for the last nine years.

Local comedian and radio personality Soli Philander marched with the Good Hope Entertainers.

When the troupe began its preparations, a friend asked him to join them.

“It’s been really great,” he said. “They are the best troupe ever. There is a family feel.

“I’m of the persuasion that it’s really important for me as a Capetonian to celebrate this occasion. It’s really special to be part of it on this Tweede Nuwe Jaar. It speaks to my heart in incredible ways,” Philander said.

The Juvie Boys celebrated a milestone in that it was their fifth year participating in the annual march.

See the article here. 

Free Concert draws large crowd

As seen on IOL.

#CTIJF 2017 | 29 March 2017
Yasmine Jacobs and Saarah Survé

Cape Town – Families came in their numbers, with their camping chairs, to Greenmarket Square to listen to the amazing line-up on Wednesday.

The MCs shared some banter with the crowd before the Free Community Concert kicked off.

The All Star Band started the festivities. The bandmembers are all younger than 18. They ended their performance with the song “Weekend Special”, much to the delight of the lively audience.

Sounds of approval could be heard.

“How many of you believe in Cape Town talent?” the MCs asked the crowd.

The Sactwu’s Got Talent Winner 2017, Danielle Jacobs, then took to the stage with  back-up dancers.

See the article and my photographs here.